Pages Menu
Categories Menu

BELGRADE FORTRESS AND KALEMEGDAN PARK

Pobednik

Tour Map

  • BELGRADE FOTRESS and KALEMEGDAN PARK
  • THE ISTANBUL GATE
  • THE CLOCK TOWER
  • THE DUNGEON GATE AREA
  • SAINT PARASKEVA CHURCH
  • THE ROSE CHURCH
  • DAMAD-ALI PASHA TOMB
  • THE NEBOJŠA (BRAVE) TOWER
  • THE VICTOR MONUMENT
  • MONUMENT OF GRATITUDE TO FRANCE

This walking toure includes:  BELGRADE FORTRESS and KALEMEGDAN

Situated on a hill over the confluence of the Sava in to the Danube, BELGRADE FOTRESS exists, in different forms, over 2000 years, with purpose, always to defend the territory and the population. Today, mostly in the XVIII century form, is specific museum of the Belgrade history. Together with Kalemegdan, once flattened field, that separated the settlement from the fortress walls, today is popular city park, place for walking and relaxing.

THE ISTANBUL GATE (STAMBOL KAPIJA) get the name from the road leaded from it to Istanbul. In the first half of the XVIII century was reconstructed from fine tight stone.

THE CLOCK TOWER (SAHAT KULA), is a tower with a clock, built in the XVIII century with mechanism still in function.

THE DUNGEON GATE (ZINDAN KAPIJA) AREA with towers and drawbridge from XV century, named by its function – dungeons inside of its walls, is one of the oldest, better preserved medieval gates on the fortress.

SAINT PARASKEVA (SV. PETKA) CHURCH built on fundaments of old church in 1937. Beautiful ambience of the church complements the myth about saint Paraskeva and the springs of healing water under the church.

ROSE (RUŽICA) CHURCH, once powder store was transformed in military church, what, in front of entrance,  symbolize sculptures of medieval knight and a soldier from The Great War.

DAMAD-ALI PASHA TOMB (TURBE), hexagonal construction covered wits ha cupola from XVIII century represent mausoleum of  Damad-Ali pasha, the Turkish warlord and some of other Turkish dignitaries.

THE NEBOJŠA (BRAVE) TOWER is from XV century observation post,  but more a jail during a period of Turkish ruling.

THE VICTOR MONUMENT dedicated to victory in Great War, symbol of the city is work of famous sculptor Ivan Meštrović.

MONUMENT OF GRATITUDE TO FRANCE erected in 1930., as sign of gratitude to France for help during the Great War is another one work of Ivan Meštrović.